Over the years, many variants of blackjack 21 have come about but classic blackjack remains a staple game at online and land-based casinos today. Classic blackjack refers to the game in its most traditional form without the added rules and features. Variants of the game that have been developed are unique and may include additional rules or add-ons but for the most part, still follow the gameplay of classic blackjack.
This guide focuses on classic blackjack without the gimmicks. We discuss how to play, the rules, strategy and more. Players who are new to blackjack will find this page especially useful.
Play Classic Blackjack for Real Money
Classic Blackjack Page Content
The Objective of The Game
Whenever you decide to try out a new casino game it’s always best to identify what the goal is. If you know what the goal is then the rules, strategy and overall gameplay will make more sense. This guide focuses on classic blackjack but the goal of the game stays the same with all variations.
Your goal is to beat the dealer by building a hand that equals 21 or as close to 21 as possible. You must achieve 21 before the dealer does in order to win. If you go over 21, you bust and therefore lose that round. A hand that achieves a total of 21 with just 2 cards is called blackjack.
Before we take you through how to play we want to cover the rules of the game first. Fortunately, blackjack isn’t a complicated game so the rules should be easy to follow.
- Classic blackjack uses a single deck of cards whereas other variations are known to use up to 6 decks of cards. The joker is removed from the pack.
- All numbers cards carry face value. Aces can be 11 or 1 depending on your hand, and K, Q, J are all valued at 10.
- During the first round both the player and the dealer receive just 2 cards. The player’s cards are dealt face up while just one of the dealer’s cards are dealt face up. The other one is handed face down.
- Players are given the option to hit or stand only. In other versions of the game, you are given more options like splitting and doubling down.
- Traditionally, dealers are expected to hit on a soft 16 and stand on a soft 17. A soft hand in classic blackjack refers to one that includes an ace card.
- Natural blackjack beats any hand with a total of 21. Natural blackjack refers to any two-card hand that has an ace coupled with another card.
Playing classic blackjack is fairly simple. Blackjack is a card game that’s reliant on both luck and skill so how well you play and if you win is up to you for the most part. Follow our easy steps below.
- You begin by placing your bets. If you are playing online be sure to meet the minimum betting amount.
- Then, the dealer (aka casino software) will deal you your initial two cards face up. The house will receive its two cards one up and one down.
- Based on the cards you have you will now decide whether you want to hit or stand. The dealer or house will automatically make its move as well.
- If you managed to build a hand that equals 21, you will win. If the house reaches 21 first, you lose. You also lose if you bust by going over 21.
Many players enjoy playing classic blackjack but there are a few other fab favourites too. Every game adds a new and exciting element to the game while still adhering to most rules found in classic blackjack. Here are some of the popular options.
- European Blackjack: European blackjack is played like the traditional game for the most part. The only difference is when the first set of cards are dealt. Players will still receive 2 cards both face down. The dealer will only receive one, and the other will be dealt after the player makes a move.
- Pontoon: In pontoon, player 21 always wins. This means that in the event of a draw between the house and the player, the win will be given to the player.
- Spanish 21: Similarly, in Spanish 21, player 21 always wins and if you do, you get half your bet back. Getting half your bet back of your win is probably the most standout feature in the game.
- Live Blackjack Online: Live blackjack offers a more interactive experience than just regular online blackjack. Live games are streamed in a casino studio with a real dealer.
- Blackjack Switch: Blackjack switch allows you to do what is otherwise known as a cheat move. Here, you are able to switch cards between two separate hands. But, instead of just one bet, you must make 2 bets of equal size.
- Blackjack Surrender: In this version of the game you have the option to surrender your initial two-card hand before drawing any new cards. When you do this, half of your first bet will be given back to you while the other half will be lost to the casino.
Play Blackjack Online
You are able to play classic blackjack and all other variants at our online casinos. All games except live blackjack may come in free mode, while real money games are offered for all. You can also enjoy other classic casino games like roulette, poker, craps and baccarat. What are you waiting for? Play classic blackjack and other games today.