Blackjack Rules are relatively easy to grasp. But, casinos differ, and on occasion, the rules do too. Learning the different rules from each casino may prove to be a difficult task. Fortunately, the majority of our casinos use the standardized rules of the game which is what we’ll talk about in this guide.
Blackjack, also known as 21, is an absolute classic table game at online and land-based casinos today. Its popularity is based on a number of factors which include the fact that it’s easy to play, has a low house edge, and promises some good returns if you play well.
If you are new to blackjack and would like to learn blackjack rules then you have come to the right place. If you are an experienced player and would like to brush up on your memory of the game then you’ve come to the right place too. Let’s get into it.
Online Blackjack Real Money Casinos 2021
Blackjack Rules Page Guide
Online Blackjack Rules
The overall objective of the game is to beat the dealer by building the best possible hand. The best possible outcome in blackjack is a natural blackjack where you achieve a total of 21 with your first two cards. But, if you do not get it the first time around there are other opportunities to get to 21 or as close to that number as possible. Here are the basic rules for playing blackjack online.
- Face cards like J, K, and Q are worth 10 points each. Aces are worth 11 or 1. The value it takes up is determined by your hand and whichever value will result in a better hand.
- Every player will begin the game with two cards including the dealer. But, throughout the game one of the dealer’s cards will remain face down until the very end.
- You also have various gameplay options. When you hit you choose to make another bet, equal to your ante in exchange for another card. When you stand you choose to not take another card and keep what you have.
- If at any point during the game you go over 21 you will lose. This is an automatic win for the dealer regardless of the strength of his/her hand.
- If you get a natural blackjack with your initial two cards (e.g. ace + 10) you win automatically.
- Natural blackjack pays 2:1
- Blackjack rules state that all dealers must hit until they have a total of 17 or higher and are not allowed to stand before then.
- The blackjack rules regarding doubling down may vary depending on the casino. Generally, though you are only allowed to double down once during a round. Doubling down is when you double your previous bet in exchange for one more card.
- Splitting is allowed but only if you have two of the same cards e.g a pair.
- You are only allowed to double down or split on the first move. But you can also spilt as a first move for a hand that came about from a prior split.
- The rules say that when you split a hand you are subsequently doubling your bet because each hand must be “paid” for.
A pack of 52 cards is used to play the game but a single pack is barely enough to play the game especially if there is more than one player. Casinos usually shuffle 6 decks of cards together. Live blackjack dealers sometimes use a clear plastic card placed at the bottom of the pack. Once the plastic card becomes available the dealer knows that it’s time for the cards to be shuffled again. In some instances, only four packs of cards will be used. In this case, the cards will be placed in a shoe and the dealer will be able to remove them one at a time.
Not every casino uses the blackjack insurance rule, but it basically refers to an additional bet that you can place in the game.
In the event where the dealer has an Ace as an up card, you get the opportunity to make a side bet which should amount to exactly your original bet. And, you are betting that the dealer’s down card is a number 10. An ace coupled with a number 10 is blackjack and thus a win for the house. Only after all side bets are in will the dealer reveal his down card. If you guessed correctly and it’s a number 10, you will be paid out 2 to 1. All those who didn’t make an insurance bet will lose in this case because the dealer has blackjack. Unless another also has blackjack. In that case, it’s a standoff.
Taking the insurance bet is almost never a good idea unless you are absolutely certain that there are enough 10 value cards left in the pack, so the likelihood of it being a 10 is higher than none. Card counting is also a good skill to have in this scenario. This is of course very difficult to do, and most casinos these days are clued up on how to deal with card counters. Worth a shot anyway, right?
Another stern blackjack rule states that once you’ve made a bet and it’s been collected by the casino, that bet cannot be returned to you. This is why it’s to the house’s advantage for players to bet first. This way, if you go bust on your first deal the house collects your bet regardless of the dealer himself also went bust.
If the dealer loses on the first deal, the house must play each player their due. If the dealer stands on a total of less than 21 he/she must pay any player that has a higher total. Those are the rules.
Play Blackjack 21 Online for Money
At our casinos, you are able to play blackjack for real money or free. And, now that you know the blackjack rules you should be well on your way to mastering the game. Visit any of our online casinos to play blackjack for real money. Also, see our other blackjack guides for more information.