Apart from the slight variation of the traditional game, American Roulette is one of the most popular casino games online. The game has an added zero to its wheel increasing the house edge and introducing a bigger volatility. Even with the increased risk, American roulette offers players several betting combinations which are interesting. Before playing the game for real money, we suggest that you go through our expert guide on how to play American roulette. We go over a number of important aspects and share the best casinos online that offer this game.
Play the American Roulette Game
American Roulette Page Content
- How to play American roulette
- American roulette rules
- American roulette wheel layout
- Bets in American roulette
- American roulette payout chart
- How to beat American roulette
This variation is an easy game to understand and play. For starters you will have to register an account with a casino site that offers the game. Remember to choose a casino that you are comfortable with and that is licensed such as the ones we recommend above.
Then you will make a deposit into your account if you wish to play for real money. Once your funds reflect, you can get started with the action.
- Find the American roulette game at the games section at the casino.
- Select your bet amounts, and the start the game by choosing the bet or bets you want to play.
- Place your chips on the correct sections on the table.
- Click on the spin button to set the wheel in motion.
- If the ball lands on your number or bet you made, collect your winnings. If not, you can play again.
The rules are rather simple and similar to those in European Roulette. Once all bets have been placed the dealer will start the game by spinning the roulette wheel, and rolling a small ball onto it. When playing online, this process is automated once you press the spin button.
In this particular game when the zero wins, you will lose all your column and dozen bets. If you make an even money bet and the zero wins you will lose half your wager. And all other bets that were not placed on zero or combinations with zero will lose.
The double-zero brings the house edge in for almost all bets to 5.26%. This is almost twice as much as the house edge found in other roulette games. The American Roulette wheel is made up of 38 sections. These are numbered from one to 36 with one single 0 and one 00 in green sections, 18 red numbers and 18 black numbers.
All the numbers on the wheel are spread out using a certain scheme.
- Red Numbers: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 14, 16, 18, 19, 21, 23, 25, 27, 30, 32, 34, 36
- Black numbers: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 13, 15, 17, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 29, 31, 33, 35
- Green numbers: 0 and 00
Before you can play the game, it is best to understand the various bets that you will come across on the table.
- Straight bet – this bet is placed on any single number including 0 and 00.
- Split bet – place the bet on the border line of two neighboring numbers on the table.
- Street bet – this bet is placed on three adjacent numbers. The chips are placed on the right or left vertical lines near the numbers.
- Corner bet – this is a bet on 4 numbers with the chips placed on the corner that joins all 4 numbers.
- Six Line bet – A bet on two adjacent rows of numbers.
- Column bet – this is a bet on 12 numbers in one column.
- Dozen bet – you will place a bet on 12 consecutive numbers.
- Black or Red – a bet on the ball landing on either a red or black pocket on the wheel.
- Even or Odd – a bet on the ball landing on either an even or odd number.
- High or Low – this bets on numbers 1-18 or 19-36, it is also known as Manque/Passe.
The amount that you can win in roulette with each type of bet will depend on the likelihood of the ball landing on that number. The American Roulette payout chart will give you an idea of how each bet in the game will pay out. The payouts may differ from casino to casino. So, it will be in your best interests to check the odds of your favored bets before you place your bets.
|Straight Up bet||35 to 1||2.63%|
|Split Bet||17 to 1||5.26%|
|Street Bet||11 to 1||7.89%|
|Corner Bet||8 to 1||10.52%|
|Line Bet||5 to 1||15.78%|
|Column Bet||2 to 1||31.57%|
|Dozen Bet||2 to 1||31.57%|
|Red or Black||1 to 1||47.36%|
|Odd or Even Bet||1 to 1||47.36%|
|High or Low Bet||1 to 1||47.36%|
When playing roulette, you need to bear in mind that it is a game of chance. That means there is no way of truly predicting where the ball will land each time. There is no American roulette winning strategy that you can use that can give you an edge of the casino.
However, there are several helpful tips that you will find as well as viable betting strategies. Strategies such as the Fibonacci or Martingale are fairly-efficient betting approaches that can help you make good betting choices.
When starting out with the game, you will want to go for bets with lower odds such as the column, dozen, high or low as well as the color bets. These bets offer low returns but highly recommended.