Online Poker Australia is an absolute classic table game at online casinos. It joins the reigns of online blackjack, roulette, and baccarat. The house edge found in poker is alright, the rules are straightforward, and there are various strategies that you can use to help you win.
You can play poker online at any of the best online poker sites that we list below. You can play online poker real money, or poker online free at any of the sites. At some online casinos, you may even be able to enjoy live poker games, as well as gain entry for poker tournaments.
Best Online Poker Sites
Poker Online Rules
If you and another player have an identical suited hand then the player whose cards have higher face value will win. For example, a pair of 10’s will beat a pair of 2’s. Similarly, a pair of 8’s will beat a pair of 6’s. The winner collects the entire pot, the other players get nothing.
Online Poker Hand Rankings
In order to know how to play poker online, you must know the different hand combinations that you can make. And, you must know which cards are high ranked, and which ones are low ranked. The table below shows 10 basic card combinations in order of rank from lowest to highest.
|One Pair||Two cards with the same face value, but different suites||5,5 (both hearts)|
|Two pairs||Four cards with the same face value but different suites||Q,Q & K,K (different suites)|
|Three of a kind||Three cards with the same face value, but different suites||3,3,3 (different suites)|
|Straight||Five cards that run consecutively||3,4,5,6,7 (different suites)|
|Flush||Five cards with different face value but same suite||J,Q,2,3,5 (all spades)|
|Full House||A pair + three of a kind||5,5 + 10, 10, 10 (different suites)|
|Four of a Kind||Cards with the same face value but different suites||K,K,K,K (different suites)|
|Straight Flush||Five cards that go in consecutive order and of the same suite||4,5,6,7,8 (all diamonds)|
|Royal Flush||Five cards in the same suite containing a 10, Ace, K,Q,J||10, K,Q,J, Ace|
Online Poker Variations
Online poker is a very diverse casino game that comes in different variations. The most popular variation of the bunch is Texas Hold’em. You also get Omaha Hold’em which is very similar to Texas Hold’em. Seven Card stud poker has fallen in popularity since the rise of Texas Hold’em but it’s still an enjoyable variation. In this game, instead of receiving 5 cards, you will work with a hand of 7 cards. Razz poker is a fun alternative to the original version. Here, instead of building the highest-ranked hand, you win by building the lowest-ranked hand.
5-Card Draw is quite popular among Australian players. HORSE poker is the variant that requires the most skill. It’s 5 variations of the game, featured in one cycle.
How to Play Online Poker
Poker is a game that you get better in overtime. Learning all the rules and methods of play is the hard part, but once you understand how the game works, it’s smooth sailing from there.
- During this game, every player will receive two cards each. You may view your cards, but it’s best to keep your cards out of sight from other players. Of course, if you are playing online it doesn’t really matter.
- Based on the cards you have, you will then decide if you want to fold, call or raise. Folding means you give in and sit this round out. To call you must place a bet of equal amount, and to raise you must not only match the other players bet amounts, but you must raise the minimum to a higher amount.
- So far, we know the game features you and other players, but there’s also the roles of small and big blind. These two players must set the minimum bet amount for the game, and every other player after them must either match that amount or go over, but never less.
- When all the bets are placed, the chips are gathered and deposited into the “pot”. The pot refers to the sum of money you stand to win if you succeed and beat the other players in that round.
- Thereafter, three cards will be drawn from the deck of cards and placed in the centre face up for everyone to see. This is called the “flop round” and the three cards placed in the centre is called the community cards. Community cards are particularly important because you will use those to build your ultimate 5 card and. As the rules go, your final hand must consist of both community cards and the original cards you’ve been dealt.
- At this point you are faced with another choice of either continuing in the game, or folding. This decision will be based on the hand you’ve managed to build this far and whether you think it’s strong enough to compete. The person who has placed the biggest bet up until that point will set the base amount for further cost of participation.
- Another card will be added to the three existing community cards. This is called the “turn round’ round. You will once again decide if you want to continue playing or fold. Before the final community card is drawn, you will enter the “river round.” This round signifies the near end.
- You and other players may bet again, thus filling the final pot. All players will then reveal their cards to see which person has the better 5 card hand.
Betting in Online Poker
There are three main types of betting that you can make when you play real money poker.
Pot limit poker allows you to place bets equal to the overall pot size in that round. This gives you the opportunity to place big bets, and hopefully win big in return too.
In no-limit poker you can place wagers of any size, just as long as it meets the minimum bet amount made by the big or small blinds. With this kind of bet you are allowed to go all-in at any time. This refers to placing all your chips on the table in an all or nothing way.
Fixed limit Poker
The amount you are allowed to bet in this kind of poker game is fixed for every round. The limit may increase slightly for each round.
Best Online Poker Tips
Whether you are playing online poker machines, or poker with friends, the game remains highly competitive where only the best of the best will win. This is why its handy to have a strategy or tips on hand.
- Poker is one of the casino games where the stakes can go quite high. But if you are a new player it is best to start off playing low-stakes poker games first.
- Take advantage of the welcome bonus or other bonuses offered to you. It makes a difference with your bankroll and keeps you playing longer.
- In a game like poker, preparation is key. And, while you are playing, avoid distractions. Stay focused.
- You must be patient when playing poker. You are not always going to have a good hand so it’s okay to play fewer hands, only opting to call on hands that have potential.
- It may seem silly, but bluffing is key to misleading your competitors in the game.
- If you are uncertain about the potential of a hand, it’s best to fold in pursuit of a better set of cards.
Online Poker FAQs
Yes, you may play poker online, poker sites are just not allowed to operate in the country itself.
Yes, you can. Real money poker games are readily available. And, with poker being a lucrative casino game, you stand to win big.
No, when you play poker at our casinos you are guaranteed a fair and secure poker game. Besides, online casinos use random number generators to deal the cards so whatever card you do receive is completely random.
From our list of casinos sites, we recommend Bovegas as one of the best real money poker sites.
We recommend no limit poker because it offers the best of both worlds. You can bet the minimum, but also place high stakes if you are daring.
There may be ways to cheat at poker when playing at a land-based casino. However, it’s very difficult to cheat when playing online.
There are many pro poker players who have made a living out of playing poker. But, you must be incredibly skilled to play poker full time as big wins aren’t always guaranteed.
Live poker is not easier, or more difficult than regular online poker. Gameplay and rules remain the same. Only difference is one happens in real time and the other doesn’t.
See Other Casino Game Guides